The Chevrolet Performance Camaro Drag Race Development Program takes another step forward with the addition of the Camaro ZL1, which has run a best 10.000-second quarter-mile ET at 137.78 mph during official testing, along with a 1.415-second 60-foot time.
Launched in the spring of 2016 with Camaro SS and announced at last year’s SEMA Show, the Drag Development program explores the capability of the sixth-generation Camaro on the drag strip through targeted performance, chassis and safety enhancements, including concept high-performance parts designed to improve launch and traction attributes. Building on lessons learned from the Camaro SS drag development program, the team is evaluating several “bolt-on” features and calibrations for the Camaro ZL1, with plans to continue testing in 2018 and evaluate a portfolio of products to be released through Chevrolet Performance.
For the Camaro ZL1 development vehicle, achieving the 10-second quarter-mile ET was driven by power-enhancing components that helped push its supercharged LT4 engine past the 700-horsepower threshold, while drag-focused calibrations for the electronic limited-slip differential and magnetic ride control systems helped the car launch more effectively. A rear small brake package and solid rear cradle mounts are among the additional components used in testing that are now available for sale.
CAMARO ZL1 PRODUCTION-BASED FEATURES
- LT4 supercharged 6.2L V-8 engine
- Available 10-speed automatic transmission
- Dual-mode exhaust system
- Electronic limited-slip rear differential (eLSD)
- 2.85 final drive ratio
- Performance Traction Management
- Drive Mode Selector
- Available Performance Data Recorder
DRAG DEVELOPMENT CONCEPT FEATURES
- Cold air intake system
- Larger throttle body
- Smaller-diameter supercharger pulley
- 110-octane calibration
- Magnetic ride control calibration
- Transmission calibration
- eLSD calibration
- Racing tires
- Racing driver’s seat with five-point harness
- Roll cage
CHEVROLET PERFORMANCE DRAG DEVELOPMENT COMPONENTS
- Solid cradle bushings (ZL1 1LE-spec), part number 84341929
- Rear small brake system, part number 84396515
CHEVROLET PERFORMANCE OFFICIALLY LICENSED PARTS
- American Racing Headers long-tube headers, part number CAV8-16178300LSNC
- WELD Racing 16 x 10-inch rear wheels, part number 88B-61058-GM
A complete list of Camaro SS Drag Development now available from Chevrolet Performance is available at ChevySEMA.com.
The Camaro ZL1 Drag Development concept joins approximately 20 additional Chevrolet models this week at the SEMA Show, Oct. 31-Nov. 3. Follow the action at ChevySEMA.com, #CHEVYSEMA, @ChevroletPerformance on Instagram and Chevrolet Performance on Facebook.